I was a little perturbed the other day when an ex-student whined to me about her EOY results, especially English. She asked, "Why did you set such a difficult paper?! Only a handful of us passed!"
I got worried and went back to check on the paper which I had set months ago. Was it really too demanding and beyond the abilities of my students?
Sad to say, I don't think so. In fact, I am disappointed to know that they could not score. It wasn't a difficult paper definitely. Have you failed to read the passage and the questions properly then? Were you too complacent about the whole exam and took things lightly, only to whine loudly and blame the whole world for your bad results at the end?
After so many years of teaching, I have heard a lot and seen a lot from students. Many of you do not understand the purpose of studying. You lament over why the need to study; why do teachers have to torture you by making you stay back for extra lessons; why do you have so much to do; why are you not allowed to be expressive in your dressing and conduct; why your parents and teachers don't understand you at all etc.
As a rational adult, at times, I really cannot bring myself to understand your point of view.
I see inertia in everything you do. Whatever that has to be done is often done half-heartedly. In the face of exams, you idle your time away by going out with friends, or sitting in front of the computer, justifying your actions by saying that you need to relax. Well, can I ask you then, "If you're faced with a pending war, do you really have time to relax?"
Shouldn't more time be spent thinking of how to fight this war and protect yourself than sitting in front of the computer chatting away with your friends, laughing at the impossibility of this war?
If this is NOT complacency. I have no better term for that. Don't whine about how difficult papers are, how lousy markers are, how idiotic setters are. You only have yourself to be blamed for taking things lightly. If you are at this cross junction now when you are so afraid of repeating another year of education because you have basically failed everything, you are probably the one I am describing here.
It's time you sit up now and evaluate your own actions. 'O' levels is not that far away, and it is not the only examination in life that you will face.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Rants of
The obnoxious Teacher on the Equator
at
10:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment