Friday, March 23, 2007

I've officially collapsed.

I knew I had been taxing myself too much when my body decided to go on a strike on its own.

I deserve it.

I haven't been really kind to my body of late. In fact, I abused it the whole of last week in Bangkok, rushing through all the night markets and shopping malls. When I came back, my sleeping pattern got worse and I slept only in the wee hours of the night trying to set exam papers.

The one week break was simply too short. At the rate I was stretching myself, it was no wonder that I finally fell ill on Tuesday.

I had terrible headache. It was coupled with the feeling of nausea. At times I could feel the world spin around me. Yes, it was that bad.

Went to see my family doctor on Wednesday and was given two days MC to rest. I slept through the two days. Decided on friday morning that I had to go back to school for lessons. Never felt good missing school for so many days. The idea of my students idling in the library with no work on hand and missing out on what they could have learnt if I was there just made me feel lousy.

It was a bad mistake.

I started to feel feverish during the first period of CME with 3E3. Things got worst during the 3rd period which I had with 5N1/2. At one point, I felt the lights in the classroom dimmed and noise slowly fading off into the background. I had to sit down. I told the students that should I faint, do go down to the general office to get help. I knew I was in good hands then. The students in this class are people whom I could trust and depend on.

Finally, the torturous 5 periods of teaching ended and I went back to the teacher's room for the rest. My body was retaliating, blaming me for my stubborness not to rest more when I could during the previous week.

I wanted to go home, but my basketball girls has a match in the late afternoon. I checked with the PE HOD if someone could go with the girls on my behalf. He couldn't find a replacement and suggested that we cancel the match. I couldn't bear to do it. This league meant a lot to the girls.

Swallowed two panadols and went with the girls to SBC. It was worth it all. Though the girls lost the match, I was glad to see their fighting spirit till the end. I'm proud of you girls!

Now, time for the much needed rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

frankly speaking, i never liked teachers, all giving me those vibes that they are high and mighty, dont ask why, bad experience.

but yeah, could tell you were faint on that day, well all i can say is that everyone will fall sick. if you dont rest up enough, you wont be able to be yourself again, as in there would be always a fight in your body no matter how peaceful/chaotic the outside is. so all i have to say is chill during the weekend. take things in your stride but i guess blogging do makes things personal and sheds light on the life of a teacher.

and for your students in 5N1/2, they can manage even if your not around, half the class did the file when you weren't here.we're seniors so have a little faith in us =)

and by the way, please don't discuss this in class.

The obnoxious Teacher on the Equator said...

Well I must agree that teachers are human beings too - not much different from everyone else.

The fact that you might have the misconception that some of us are "high and mighty" could be because as teachers, we are required to be a little more serious than how we really are. This is to ensure that some students do not step over that boundary and act up.

Personally, I believe in behaving the way I really am. It is tiring to put up a false front of being stern (in your language, "high and mighty") when I am obviously not so. But I make sure that my students know how not to cross that line. =)

I am who I am. You can take me at face value.