I've been away from blogging land for some time.
Part of the reason was fatigue. Too many things to do but too little time to execute them. I am beginning to question my efficiency level nowadays. Wish I could do more for everyone around me but it seems impossible to spend quality time with anyone; family, students and friends. I feel exceptionally guilty towards my family. When I get home around 7pm everyday, I am often too tired to sit through a meal and chat with them. Weekends become very precious as that's the time when I get to hang out with them without feeling weary from the long day in school.
The other reason that kept me away from blogging of late is, I do not know if what I am blogging is acceptable anymore. MOE has become more stringent when it comes to teachers blogging. They have also taken certain steps to "educate" us on what we, teachers should not blog about. This was especially the case after a particular teacher from a "branded" school came out of the closet and disclosed in his blog that he's a gay. I have no comments about this case but just some afterthoughts. Singapore has always placed lots of emphasis on the issue of tolerance in our society, be it racial, religious or cultural. Which category does homosexuality fall under? As a developed country in the world, are we open-minded enough in this respect? Or is this an issue because the protagonist is a teacher?
Don't get me wrong. I can totally concur with the concept of teachers being good role-models to students though this concept is stifling for most of us at times. Because of this tall order to be role-models, we have to consciously put up a front that is deliberate and sometimes, unreal. As the saying goes, "It's human to err." If this is the case, are teachers given this right to make mistakes at times without being under public scrutiny?
For now, I can only keep my fingers crossed that I will not be asked to shut down this blog one day because of some opinions in my entries that are not the standard, nationally accepted views.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Rants of
The obnoxious Teacher on the Equator
at
10:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment